“Pathologizing or “diseasing” rebellious behavior, or disobeying, is NOT a new trick for those who hold tenuous power over others.” BIG PHARMA has some new life long customers.
Do I believe in “bad” behavior? Only when it is destructive to oneself…and I believe, my opinion, as I am not a doctor thus I garner no titles giving me the right to figure it out….I think most of the problems we face in mental health could be fixed with a kind and compassionate doctor who really listens to the person and helps that person figure out a plan to “fix” what is wrong in their lives. For a better understanding of my thoughts on all mental health issues please see the following PLAYLIST on Youtube.
Question of the day:
Rebellion against a repressive situation … is this a disease? Or it is a healthy response?
Let’s take a journey.
To put everything in prospective, sometimes we must go into the past. (If you want to learn more about propaganda in literature, might I suggest picking up a copy of Grimm’s Fairytale…it is sometimes easier to spot things if you are far removed from them and have no personal stake.)
Drapetomania: (Why? Because trying to run away from slavery is surely a disease): was a supposed mental illness described by American physician Samuel A. Cartwright in 1851 that caused slaves to flee captivity. Today this is considered an example of pseudoscience, but I wonder…could he sell it now????? (Instead of Slaves insert: Children in the Foster Care system that like to runaway)
Dysaesthesia Aethiopica (another gem of Samual A. Cartwright): or the common name, you know used by the slave overseers: “Rascality”…(oh those darn slaves not wanting to be slaves…surely they must have a disease, right?) Okay, here are the symptoms:
- Careless movements
- Complaining (Because if you complain about your situation, surely you are ill)
- Mischief, which isn’t intentional, but rather caused by stupidness of mind and insensibility of nerves.
- They abuse horses or cattle
- Tear or burn their own clothing
- Pay no attention to the rights of property
- Wander about at night.
- Get sleepy during the day.
- Insensible to pain or punishment
- Having the liberty to be idle.
- To wallow in filth
- To indulge in IMPROPER FOOD AND DRINKS
Going back to: Could this doctor sell this disease now? …After all there are now psychological conditions where the symptom is simply going against the grain. O.D.D. for example:
- DSM-5 criteria for diagnosis. Must have 4 symptoms from any of the following categories and occur with at least one individual who is NOT a sibling.
- Causes significant problems at work, school or home.
- Often loses temper
- Is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
- Is often angry and resentful
- Often argues with adults or PEOPLE IN AUTHORITY.
- Actively DEFIES or REFUSES to COMPLY WITH ADULTS’ REQUESTS or RULES
- Deliberately annoys people
- Blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
- Is often spiteful or vindictive
- Has shown spiteful or vindictive behavior
While it is true that these are bad behaviors…but are they behaviors that need to be “cured” like a disease or are they symptoms of something else, something situational, something oppressive?
Well Today we are alone. With the mounting number of mental illnesses growing each and every day. With the harsh fact that YOU can and WILL lose your rights if you are labeled with a Mental Illness. It’s time to start educating ourselves in a world gone crazy.
I invite you to listen to the following PODCAST presented by School Sucks Project.
- Sources for their PODCAST 053: Drapetomania
- Look Closer:
- Frontline - The Medicated Child
- How Teenage Rebellion Has Become a Mental Illness by Dr. Bruce E. Levine
- The Drugging of Our Children By Gary Null
- Appendix 43 - Drapetomania by Michael Greger, MD and United Progressive Alumni
- ADHD schoolkids '10 times worse' on Ritalin, dexamphetamine, study finds
Please open your mind, it is time we all thought critically about what is happening to our children. If your goal is to raise a controllable cog in the machine, you have nothing to do…it’s already being done…but if you want to raise a child who can create, think, have freewill…time to dig in and get educated. Time to ask: WHY?
Thanks for joining me today. As always: have a beautiful day!!!! E
Disclosure: While I think religion is a private thing, I will say that: I am not a Sci
| || || |